The Special Officer’s responsibilities is to oversee and provide a safe and secure environment for employees and customers The Special Officer will parole the Library’s grounds to maintain order, preserve the peace and safeguard life and property against fire, vandalism, thefts, etc. Will enforce Library policy and procedure and assist in resolving critical situations peaceably.
It is also the responsibility of the Special Officer to inspect the bags and packages of employees and customers entering the building. Provide and recommend appropriate discipline for procedural violators.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Patrol designated areas of the library buildings and grounds to provide a safe and secure environment
- Provide quality customer service and information to employees and customers
- Package inspections for visitors entering the building
- Locks up and secures premises and contents within the building
- Notify appropriate agencies and individuals in the event of an emergency
- Aid sick and injured persons and completes an incident report; notify ambulance when necessary
- Make rounds throughout the building location and monitor security systems
- Write reports and informs appropriate departments on fire/safety issues
- Ability to work at other locations
Skills & Requirements:
- A High School diploma or equivalent is required, some college a plus
- A valid New York State Driver’s license with good driving record
- Must also qualify for peace officer status & attend/complete a NYS Bureau of Municipal Police, Peace Officer program (per section 434a-7.0 Administrative Code, City of New York: age 21, no felony convictions or misdemeanors, U.S. Citizen). NYCFD, Fire Guard/Fire Drill Conductor certification is preferred.
- A minimum of a least 1 years of security-related experience
- Must meet physical and medical requirements
- Extensive walking, standing & moving about for long periods of time
- Must be able to confront & deescalate problems & conflict
- Ability to work independently and provide the best customer service
- Excellent interpersonal (oral & written) skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Email
- Ability to work all shifts including holidays, Saturdays and Sundays
Starting salary: $32,435
All interested and qualified applicants should submit their resumes to: Job2176@bklynlibrary.org
Brooklyn Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.