Read! Write! Create! Program Facilitator – Summer 2014
Applications are solicited for Program Facilitators for BPL’s Read! Write! Create! (RWC) literacy program. RWC will hold two six-session series of comic book writing workshops for children in three public housing development community centers on specific dates in the summer of 2014. The facilitators are scheduled to work for 2 hours on each session of the series. Upon completion of the series, there will be a possibility of renewal for the fall series.
All interns must also attend a paid training session scheduled for Saturday July 12, 10:00am – 2:00pm. Each intern will be assigned a branch for all six sessions, and all interns must be willing to travel to their assigned branch, and be available to present programs on the following dates:
Location 1: July 15, 16, 22, 23, 29, 30, August dates TBA
Location 2: July 14, 16, 21, 23, 28, 30, August 4, 6, 11, 13, 18, and 20; 1:00-3:00
Duties and responsibilities:
- Using the curriculum created by the Comic Book Project and adapted by BPL, facilitate comic book writing workshops for children.
- Work collaboratively with the staff at the public housing community center.
- Promote literacy skills by exploring the connection between words and visual imagery as it relates to narrative structure and content.
- Gather information and surveys from participants for an evaluation of this project.
- Setup and breakdown activity space.
- Communicate clearly with Read! Write! Create! Coordinator.
Education and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience working with children ages eight to twelve
- Excellent communication skills; Strong presentation and programming skills
- Flexibility and willingness to travel
- Enrollment in a graduate library or education program desirable, but not essential
- Interest in and knowledge of comic books, graphic novels, and sequential art a plus.
Compensation: $100 per program and $100 to attend the training
Job offer is contingent on passing a pre-employment background check
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Brooklyn Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.