Junior Library Custodian
The Junior Library Custodian’s main responsibility is the cleaning and maintenance of Library buildings and grounds (including interior, exterior, and roofs), and performing custodial tasks such as sweeping, mopping, waxing, gathering & disposing refuse, leaf and snow removal, operating elevators, a low pressure heating and air conditioning system and cleaning of boiler parts.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Make recommendations for repairs and maintenance upkeep
- Make minor repairs and replace equipment as required
- Responsible for room set-up and the moving of furniture and equipment
- Keep inventories and records, order supplies, and prepares required reports
- Enforce safety requirements and protects the building and grounds
- Graffiti removal, fire department inspections, multiple clean up of grounds area, opening doors for staff, UPS, FedEx, bottled water deliveries and set-up, opening/monitoring buildings for Department of Design & Construction (DDC) and construction activities, proper recycling and sorting, garbage disposal, and will assist with Interchange and deliveries.
- Travel to other locations as needed
- Performs other related work as required
Skills & Requirements:
- A High School diploma or equivalent is required
- A minimum of at least 1 year of custodial-related experience.
- Ability to strip, wax & operate a buffing machines;
- Ability to sweep, mop & operate a vacuum
- Must know proper cleaning procedures to clean & disinfect restrooms & public areas.
- Familiar with power equipment such as, snow blowers, lawn mowers & gas power equipment.
- Must be familiar with building systems such as; heating, air conditioning, plumbing & electrical systems.
- Ability to work independently
- Good oral and written communication skills; ability to comprehend all safety related materials and instruction
- Must meet physical and medical requirements and be able to lift moderate to heavy material
- Must be willing to work at multiple locations & familiar with Brooklyn neighborhoods
- Ability to work all shifts including holidays, Saturdays and Sundays; different shifts available
- All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background check & physical
- Starting salary: $29,626
All interested and qualified applicants should submit their resumes via email to: email@example.com. No phone calls or faxes please. Brooklyn Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer