Brooklyn Public Library, the nation’s 5th largest public library system, with an operating budget of over a hundred million dollars, is committed to providing the borough’s 2.5 million people with quality services, programs, and a vibrant learning environment through a network of 60 neighborhood libraries.
Brooklyn Public Library is seeking an individual to operate our “Library on Wheels” a.k.a. “The Bookmobile.” The Bookmobile will provide library service to all age levels in the local communities including providing library service to schools, nursing homes, senior centers, communities with library closures and other community events. The operator will also be responsible for providing direct public services to an assigned home location when the bookmobile is not in operation.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Drives Bookmobile to scheduled stops in Brooklyn
- Performs safety checks before operating the Bookmobile
- Communicates and requests required maintenance as needed
- Works with Neighborhood Services to pick up and drop off vehicle for scheduled maintenance and repairs
- Checks Bookmobile for required equipment and supplies prior to operation
- Loads materials onto Bookmobile & unloads Bookmobile at the end of a route
- Provides quality, direct public service in a courteous and timely manner
- Checks in and out library materials to customers
- Processes holds & library card applications
- Assist customers in the use of technology
- Performs other duties as assigned
Skills & Qualifications:
- High School diploma required, BA/BS degree a plus
- 2-3 years of customer service experience
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Experience using Sierra a plus
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience working in a customer service oriented environment
- Ability to work in a fast paced, team environment
- Familiar with working in a diverse workforce
- Must be organized with good attention to detail
- Willing to be flexible and adapt in different situations
- Ability to work all shifts including holidays, Saturdays and Sundays
- Valid NYS Driver’s license with a clean record
The starting salary for this position is $35,251; This position is in the bargaining unit.
Interested and qualified applicants can submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Brooklyn Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information, visit our website: http://www.bklynlibrary.org/.