Ready Set Kindergarten English Writing
You are your child’s first teacher.
You can help your child get ready to write.
Download our writing tipsheet:
Writing Tipsheet (.pdf)
- Have crayons, markers, and paper in your home.
- Scribbling leads to writing. Give your child plenty of time to scribble and draw.
- Let your child see you write in the language you know best.
- Help your child write her name on her drawings.
Write at home!
- Write shopping lists with your child.
- Have some magnetic letters on your refrigerator.
- Write labels for some items in your home. Read the labels with your child.
Write on the go...
- Write or draw on the sidewalk with chalk.
- Write or draw on the sidewalk with water and a large paint brush.
- Take paper and crayons with you on long trips.
Write at the Library
- Make an appointment to use the computer with your child.
- Show your child how to use the keyboard to type letters.
- Help your child type his name.
Make a Family Mailbox
- Make a family mailbox out of a shoebox.
- Tell everyone in your family to write messages or draw pictures for each other.
- Your child can deliver the mail to each family member!