Ready Set Kindergarten English Science
You are your child’s first teacher.
Help your child learn to observe and describe the world around her.
Download our science tipsheet:
Science Tipsheet (.pdf)
Get Ready to Learn Science!
Science is Everywhere!
- Your child is a scientist!
- Encourage your child to ask questions.
- Talk with your child about how things look, feel, smell, sound and taste.
Science at home...
- Cook and bake with your child. Cooking is chemistry!
- Get a house plant and teach your child how to take care of it.
- Let your preschooler play with magnets and flashlights.
- Talk about what sinks and floats in the bath tub.
Science on the go...
- Talk about how things change outside during the seasons.
- Talk about what you see and hear as you go for a walk.
- Learn about science at the park, the zoo, a science museum, or a botanic garden.
Science at the Library!
- Look up the answers to your child’s questions in books or on the computer.
- Check out books about animals, weather, and outer space.
- Ask your librarian for help.
Grow a Window Garden
- Soak any kind of dry bean overnight.
- Put the soaked beans in a clear, small, plastic bag with a wet paper towel.
- Tape the bag to a sunny window and make sure the paper towel stays damp.
- You will soon have a bean plant growing from your window!