Ready Set Kindergarten English Math
You are your child’s first teacher.
Help them discover math in everyday life.
Download our math tipsheet:
Math Tipsheet (.pdf)
Get Ready for Math
Math is Everywhere!
- Children learn a lot about numbers and math before they begin school.
- We use math every day! Let your child see you use math.
- Count things with your child.
- Make math fun for your child.
Math at home
- Cook with your child. Let your child count and measure ingredients.
- Your child can help set the table and count out plates and cups.
- Help her fold napkins into squares, rectangles, and triangles.
- Hang a clock with clear numbers in your home.
Math on the go...
- Point out numbers on signs as you walk with your child.
- Talk about the shapes and patterns you see on the street.
- Count the stops on the subway or bus. Count the items you buy at the store.
Math at the Library
- Check out counting books from the library.
- Look for books about opposites, shapes, patterns and other concepts.
- Ask your librarian for help.
Play with Math
- Let your child play with puzzles and blocks.
- Give your child measuring cups and spoons to play with in the bath tub.
- Match and sort toys by color, size, and shape.
- Get your child a piggy bank. Count the coins inside together.