Ready Set Kindergarten English Singing
You are your child's first teacher.
Singing can help your child get ready to read.
Download our singing tipsheet:
Singing Tipsheet (.pdf)
Sing and Get Ready to Read!
- Don’t worry if you are not a good singer. Your child will love singing with you!
- Sing with your child in the language you know best.
- Singing will help your children will help them hear the smaller sounds in words. This will help them sound out words when they begin to read.
Sing at Home
- Sing lullabies to your child before bedtime.
- Make up your own songs to tunes you already know.
- Put your child’s name in the songs you sing.
- Play music CDs or the radio at home or in the car.
- Sing a favorite song and let your child guess what word comes next.
- For fun, try singing your child’s favorite songs very fast and then try it very slow.
Sing at the Library
- Go to a storytime or music program at the library to learn new songs.
- Check out music CDs from the library.
- Ask your librarian to help you find picture books that are songs you can sing.
Make a Family Songbook
- Write down the words of some of your child’s favorite songs in a note book.
- Let your child decorate each page in the book.
- Add the words to new songs as you learn them.