Everything a comics fan could want, from online comics and trivia, to drawing tutorials and career advice.
A partial, and admittedly biased list of free online comics.
- Cucumber Quest - A beautiful comic about bunny kids going on adventures.
- Darwin Carmichael is Going to Hell - Darwin and his manticore change Darwin's bad karma.
- Dinosaur Comics - A comic about talking dinosaurs with the same art in each panel.
- The Dreamer - Bea has vivid dreams about a handsome Revolutionary soldier named Alan Warren.
- Dr. McNinja - He's a doctor who is also a ninja and he rides a dinosaur.
- Girls with Slingshots - A comic about Hazel and Jamie and their talking cactus.
- Gunnerkrigg Court - Annie Carver joins Gunnerkrigg Court, a school for magic.
- Hark! A Vagrant - Funny comics about history, anthropology and stuff.
- Homestuck - Similar to text-based adventure games, this interactive comic has developed an obsessed fan-base.
- Johnny Wander - Might be about life after college, growing up and the people you meet.
- Looking for Group - A fantasy adventure themed comic.
- Lucy Knisely - Autobiographical comics by the author of French Milk and Relish.
- The Meek - Angora, an inexperienced girl is on a quest to save the world.
- Namesake - A Namesake is someone with the power to open portals to other worlds.
- Order of the Stick - Satirizes the characters from classic fantasies and RPGs.
- Penny Arcade - About video games and gaming culture.
- Perry Bible Fellowship - A comic with an evil sense of humor.
- Questionable Content - About romance and roommates and robots.
- Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal - A comic about everything from science to philosophy to dirty jokes.
- Something Positive - The story of a few friends and daily lifes and the occasional mass catgirl cataclysm.
- Vattu - A nomad is caught in the midst of a clash of fantasy cultures.
- Wondermark - This comic uses 19th c. illustrations to humorous effect.
- xkcd - A webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language.
Books at the Library
by Scott McCloud
Discusses the history of comics and technical aspects of comics such as panel layout, speech bubbles and more.
Stan Lee's How to Draw Superheroes
by Stan Lee
741.51 L (Graphic Novel)
Advice on character design from one of the most famous comics creators.
Critical Survey of Graphic Novels
Includes articles on some of the best American and European independent comics, including some mind-blowingly good titles. Download the Overdrive app to read this book on your phone.
Summer Reading Recommended Comics
Down. Set. Fight!
by Chad Bowers, Chris Sims and Scott Kowalchuk
YA FIC BOWERS (Graphic Novel)
Ex-football star takes down evil mascots one punchout at a time!
by Noelle Stevenson
YA FIC STEVENSON (Graphic Novel)
Fearless girls get to the bottom of weird stuff going down at summer camp.
In Real Life
by Cory Doctorow and Jen Wang
YA FIC DOCTOROW (Graphic Novel)
Anda plays Coarsegold Online for fun until she realizes more is at stake for her friend Raymond.
Hunter X Hunter
by Yoshihiro Togashi
YA FIC TOGASHI (Graphic Novel)
Despite his Aunt Mito's protests, Gon decides to follow in his father's footsteps and become a legendary Hunter.
by Walter Dean Myers and Guy A. Sims
YA FIC SIMS (Graphic Novel)
While on trial as an accomplice to a murder, a sixteen-year-old records his experiences in prison and in the courtroom in the form of a film script.
by G. Willow Wilson
YA FIC WILSON (Graphic Novel)
Kamala Khan is an ordinary girl from Jersey City -- until she's suddenly empowered with extraordinary gifts.
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
by Ransom Riggs
YA FIC RIGGS (Graphic Novel)
As Jacob explores Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous.
by Kiiro Yumi
YA FIC YUMI (Graphic Novel)
In the future, the government creates a committee to rid society of books it deems unsuitable. The libraries vow to protect their collections.
by Gene Luen Yang
YA FIC YANG (Graphic Novel)
In the 1940's the Green Turtle was the first Asian American super hero, but Gene Luen Yang has revived this character in Shadow Hero.
Cirque du Freak
by Darren Shan
YA FIC SHAN (Graphic Novel)
Two boys visit an illegal freak show, where an encounter with a vampire and a deadly spider forces them to make life-changing choices.