Proposals for exhibitions at Brooklyn Public Library will be reviewed by the Programs and Exhibitions Committee, which will meet several times a year. The Programs and Exhibitions Department hopes to bring high quality exhibitions relating to Brooklyn and books to a greater public.
There are five different exhibition venues at Central Library as follows:
Brooklyn Public Library presents exhibitions in the Grand Lobby of Central Library. Exhibition Cases (16 display cases with two sides for artwork) allow a total of 16 enclosed glass spaces available for matted artwork. (6 cases are 42" x 40" and 2 of the cases are 60" x 40")
The Library accepts proposals for the Grand Lobby exhibition cases in two categories:
- Photography/Art: Documenting Brooklyn in some form
- Illustrations /Books
Two sets of display shelves are featured at the main entrance of Central Library. There is one set of shelves on each side of the entrance. Each display area is 41 inches high x 143 inches long (approx. 12 feet) x 18 inches (1.5 feet) deep.
- Works on paper or small sculptures
Located in the alcove space to the right of the Foyer near the Multilingual Center. Brooklyn Public Library invites Brooklyn not-for-profit organizations and Brooklyn-based artists to submit proposals for this unique public art space. Organizations are invited to curate three exhibitions or site-specific installations over a six-month period; each show will run for two months. Individual artists will submit proposals for a two-month period.
- Open to Brooklyn-based artists reflecting the diversity of the borough and its artistic practices.
- Installations should be able to draw a clear parallel between the artists' work and the Library's extensive collections and serve to connect Library patrons with both the work on view, and the Library's holdings and its origin.
- Installations should take into consideration our large and diverse library public.
Six exhibition cases on the Balcony, Mezzanine Level. Grouped in threes, each case is 48" long x 38" high x 12" deep.
- Artist Books
YOUTH WING CASES
There are five exhibition cases in the Youth Wing. Each case is approximately 61 inches high x 31 inches wide x 8 inches wide. In addition there are 21 smaller cases, approx. 21 inches high x 30 inches wide x 8 inches deep located above the bookshelves.
- Book illustrations or paintings related to youth.
If you would like to submit a proposal, please send:
- A written description of the work and the exhibition proposal
- A resumé
- 8-10 digital images/JPEG format @ 300 DPI on CD of samples of work. (Please do not send original pieces, as the Library cannot be responsible for their safety at this point.)
- Send to:
Barbara Wing, Manager of Exhibitions
Brooklyn Public Library
Programs & Exhibitions Department
10 Grand Army Plaza
Brooklyn, NY 11238
For further inquries, please contact: